Saturday 7 June 2014

#StudyLovin

Perched outside an exam centre for the past few days, I've witnessed students frantically emptying their brain of every piece of knowledge they posses. Some falling into the prison of stress more than others. There was even those few who thought it would be ideal to take a trip to the bathroom during their Irish aural... The CD doesn't stop for anyone.

There's no doubt that I've started to muse over my own future prospects for the Leaving Cert (Well, I've so much time I don't have anything else to think about!) You and I will both agree, the Leaving Cert is two years of your life you've simply wasted. In five years time, you probably won't even remember how many points you achieved.

One huge issue I have with the Leaving Cert is the content. I mean the exams alone are depressing enough without studying about women who committed suicide! Let's take 'An Triail' for example. I agree that students must understand the horrific hypocrisy and suffering of society in Ireland during the 1960's, but this young girl Maire just gave up on life.She killed herself and her newborn baby. Honestly what are we supposed to learn from that - when the going gets tough...give up?

We must not forget the work of Emily Dickinson and Sylvia Plath. Don't get me wrong, I love reading their intense poetry, full of rich imagery and a deep sense of emotional confusion. With that said however, sometimes I'm really not in the mood to scrutinize Plath's despair and depression. We spend a considerable amount of time spurting out flowery sentences - "The Bay of the Dead in the poem 'Finnistere' sends Plath into a deep depression." Personally, simply reading that poem sends me into a pit of despair. Is it really necessary to study this extensive amount of dreary material?



No doubt there was a shocking moment during a history class this year when the students were unable to list out the previous Presidents of Ireland. The Leaving Cert may teach you how to write a perfect 'Comparative essay' or the various formulas for the same maths problem, but it definitely fails to deal with daily life. Who can honestly say that they ever needed to use complex numbers after they left school? (unless you're studying maths of course) They don't exist for a reason!! In my opinion, as a citizen of your own country, you need to know who your president is! As I read through the captivating autobiography of Mary Robinson (book review), I have realised the significant impact she had on the people of Ireland. As president she fought for many of the rights  we take for granted today. We learn very little about politics in school and as a result young people have lost interest in their power to vote. Turning 18 in today's society allows many privileges, but voting isn't the number one priority.

However much I may complain about the Leaving Cert there's absolutely no avoiding it at this stage. I'm on the road to melting my brain with endless amounts of information and turning into a professional hermit!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment