Friday 15 August 2014

Childhood Memories

Childhood. The photographic snapshot stage of life, referred to by many as the 'innocence of youth'. The times when you simply didn't care if you had worn the same t-shirt for a week...the one with the chocolate stain from last summer. Can you remember it now?

My childhood was quite a momentous occasion. Reminiscing it now, I can safely assure myself, that it was anything but dull. If I wasn't attempting to build a pond in a field, or creating the world renowned 'wok' band of 08', I was likely to be found organising troops for battle, a war I have the fortune never to forget.

During the summer months, my brother and I enjoyed the mischievous company of friends who live in the countryside. From a young age we established 'our land' in the fields surrounding their house. Much to our shock and horror, one summer an incredibly large eye sore was plonked in the middle of one of our fields. A warehouse, which unforgivably
disrupted our range of freedom. Unfortunately for them, we were equipped with slingshots and batteries and prepared to blow up this building without a second thought. However, unfortunately for us, we had little knowledge in the area of military tactics and spent most of our time dragging ourselves along the mucky ground, quickly retreating back to our 'base' each time a car drove past. We managed to build a tunnel through a thorn bush, build a bridge over a deep ditch, dig a pond infested with frogs and fall off a mound of concrete blocks numerous times.We were battered and bruised but that never seemed to stop us from adventuring.

Growing up with a family surrounded by music, I learned from an early stage the quality of a good tune. They showed me endless genres, and even to this day I venture to them for advice. I'll never forget those moments when the music reached ear bursting levels and the pots and pans made an appearance. We'd spend hours bashing pots convinced we were creating Mozart's next symphony.

Nothing compares to the carefree days as a young child. No day was wasted, each day filled with new discoveries. Building forts out of couches and sheets, only to be discovered a few hours later suffocating under piles of cushions. Joined by my brother I often spent more time racing toy cars and building Lego cities than anything else.

Captivated by each day, childhood is a memory worth reminiscing.       

No comments:

Post a Comment